Saturday, February 2, 2008

Alphabetsssss

"Old McDonald had a farm. E Ai E Ai Oo! In his farm he had some children. E Ai E Ai Oo!...'
What I thought would be a typical Saturday night out proved to be atypical indeed. With just 45 minutes left before I collect the tickets to 'The Number 23' , I decided to have dinner at Swensen's. Just as I was getting seated, I saw someone turned to my direction and realised that he was an ex-student, one of a pair of identical twins. I was not sure if it was Jowe or Joel (I really cannot tell the difference) but nonetheless, I remember this ex-student to be someone who is polite and gracious. I flashed a smile as I acknowledged his presence. Immediately after, I placed my order - grilled dory fish and a glass of coke. I told the waitress to speed up the order for I did not want to miss the beginning of 'The Number 23'. The waitress was extremely pleasant about it and well, what can I say, I enjoyed my dinner particularly since it was only recently that I acquired the taste for fish. In the middle of my meal, Joel (or Jowe?!) came over to my table and we chatted as I hurriedly ate my dinner. We talked about school and I got him to give me updates on his current educational pursuits. It is nice to hear how well he's doing in pursuit of higher education. With both of us giving updates on what's familiar to the both of us - OUR school - I realised that seated right in front of me was a kid whom I had taught for only a semester (or a brief period I think) but who had nonetheless made his presence felt. Hurriedly, I told Joel (or Jowe?!!) that I needed to rush for the movie. We bade each other goodbye and I made way to the cashier to settle the bill only to find out from the cashier that Joel (Jowe?!!) had paid for my meal!! As much as I felt surprised by the kind gesture, I found myself blushing with awkwardness, unsure as to how I should react or say beyond 'thank you'. The unexpected gesture from an ex-student is something that I will remember forever. I cannot quite put a word to describe the experience but if Joel (Jowe?!!) ever gets a chance to read this, here's my most sincere thought, 'Thank You!'. :-))
Tonight's experience brought back to mind an event that happened a few years ago. While I was chilling out in a lounge at Raffles City with Jay, Huey etc, a waitress came to me with a glass of red wine. She politely told me that the wine was from an ex-student who happened to be in the same lounge as us! I looked for her and she cheerfully waved at me. We spoke briefly and again, I felt the same kind of awkwardness as I felt tonight.
Speaking of waving, a few months back while I was crossing the traffic at Orchard Road, I heard a honk. I saw someone with a bright, familiar smile waving. It was Eugene, another ex-student who still wears the same neatly gelled hair. Lol...
It's fascinating indeed to be surprised. More so when the surprise actually comes from someone who was at one point in time one's young charges. Suddenly one sees in them an adult; particularly when the chance meeting takes place at dance clubs or work seminars etc. The same person that was once scolded for not being on task with the homework, or praised for being able to stay out of trouble suddenly now shares the same playground as you! At best, the same profession!

No comments: